Liberal Solutions to Combat Rising Power Bills
Every Nova Scotian is struggling under continued NSP rate increases. This page briefly outlines Liberal ideas that will help control skyrocketing power rates.
Nova Scotians pay the highest power rates in the country and NSP wants to increase our rates again. While their executives get double-digit pay increases and fly around Canada on private jets, they come to us, hat in hand, looking for two more rate increases.
The Nova Scotia Liberals have presented numerous ideas to break the power monopoly and force stronger regulations on NSP:
- Let you choose who to buy your power from by breaking NSP’s monopoly and forcing them to compete for your business
- Force NSP shareholders, not ratepayers, to pay for executive bonuses
- Take the Efficiency Tax off power bills, forcing Nova Scotia Power to pay for those programs
- Cut the waste in NSP and force them to look internally for savings before they come to ratepayers looking for another increase
- Introduced legislation that would impose power outage fines and greater accountability on NSP
- Provide cheaper, cleaner energy by importing power from Hydro Quebec
- Explore possibilities around other sources of renewable energy to offer Nova Scotians the best available option
The International Day Against Homophobia and Transphobia (IDAHO)